Friday, June 6, 2008

Crunching the numbers






I love tea. Ok, I'm addicted. I gave up my Coke habit and switched to this beverage. Pre-money saving mode, I would buy premade tea at the store. Not the store brand either. The $2.34 a gallon Red Diamond Sweet Tea. Multiply that by a conservative average of 6 gallons a week and I was spending $14.04(at least). That's $56.16 a month or $673.92 a year. Yikes!


As you can tell, I never figured up the price I was spending. That's insane!


Since I have been home, I have faithfully made my own tea, whether it's 1 gallon or sometimes 2 a day. I never really figured the price I was paying but some recent sales on tea bags got me wondering which one the better deal.


I had some Lipton tea bags that cost $2.68 for 100 or $0.0268 a piece. Then I had some coupons for the Luzianne tea bags. I paid $0.96 for a box of 24 or $0.04 each. I bought sugar on sale for $1.69 for 4 lbs with says it contains 454 teaspoons.


Ok, here was my problem. I use cup fulls, not teaspoon fulls to make tea. Grrr. Plus I am not a math person. Numbers give me a migraine. I did a google search and found a site with this handy dandy calculator.




According to the calculator, I can get 9.45 cups of sugar out of that bag. So that means 1 cup of sugar costs me approx $0.18.


So here are my calculations (I just figure tea bag price and sugar)


Lipton

.0268x6(number of bags)= .1608

.18x1.5(amount of sugar in cups I use)=.27


total for sugar and tea bags =0.4308 per gallon



Luzianne

.04x3(they are the larger tea bags)= .12

.18x1.5=.27


total = .39 per gallon


I thought the Luzianne would be more per gallon to make, but obviously not. Of course, the price will fluctuate according to the price of sugar and the tea bags(normally I just use GV brand for the tea and sugar but these were bought on sale) Overall, it is way better than the $2.34 a gallon I was happily forking over before.
Want to find more frugal ideas? Check out Frugal Friday!

2 comments:

Michele said...

That measurements site looks great! I bookmarked it, and I'm sure I'll be referring to it soon. Thanks! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog! (Hmm... I think popcorn and tea sounds good now.) :)

I love the picture in your header!
Blessings,
Michele
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

Alyssa said...

I am inspired! I, too, am a tea lover. I need to make some of my own, great idea!