Friday, June 6, 2008

Sew Crafty



I have been a lurker at Shereen's Sew Crafty Friday for awhile hoping looking at everyone else's creations would get me off my butt and into a creative mode. I have been too big of a chicken to learn how to use my sewing machine, my mother in law has been promising to take some time to teach me to crochet, and most of my other skills are in painting and drawing. So who would've thought a mail package would get me motivated. One freebie I signed up for a few weeks ago was through DMC for their Mentor Program. They sent a package with 4 small samplers and a book with some more patterns. Curiosity(or boredom) got the better of me the other night so I broke out 2 of the samplers. I showed Thing 1 the basics and we got started. Now, I finished mine in 4 hours. Also in that time, I washed the dishes, chased Baby Girl, and was watching tv. Here's the end product:

It's tiny(just a couple of inches). I never had the patience for the bigger designs. My grandmother would make intricate pieces that ended up several feet, in some cases, in size. I always stuck to the smaller designs and used my drawing abilities to make patterns for her. I could sit for hours drawing a pattern on grid paper and then going through her extensive floss collection to find the right colors for it.
I do have a trip planned to Hobby Lobby to pick up some more material and floss. Thing 1 is anxious to do a new one, even though 4 days later, she is still working on her first one.

3 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I love it! I haven't done counted cross stitch in a while, but I prefer the little pictures, too. They just look so cute! I've only recently discovered something called 'inchies.' It is some kind of sewing or artwork that is only an inch square. There are free patterns for cross-stitch ones around the 'net. LOL, if you finished your flowers in 4 hours...imagine how fast you could do an 'inchie'!

Sabine said...

That's very sweet! I've been a lurker on Shereen's blog, too, and just signed in for the first time today. I would love to see some of your original designs.

Laura of Harvest Lane said...

I'm so proud of you!
Who cares if it's small? It's finished!
That's what counts.
It's cute too!

Laura