Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pantry Challenge-Update

My life would be easier, and my wallet fatter, if I wasn't attached to a carnivore. Seriously, Joseph requires an obscene amount of protein 3 times a day. Don't get me wrong, me and the kids love meat too, but our grocery bill doubles or more when Joseph is around. Last winter, I was feeding me and 3 kids for $60 a week or less. Since he's been home, I spend $120-$150 easily. Yes, that's a week. I do my best to stock up on markdown meat when I find it and actually put it to use, but my vehicle-lacking situation even hinders that.


I went grocery shopping Friday, it was the first time I had been since the Monday before Christmas. I spent a total of $283.96($202.45 at Walmart, with a savings of $10 with coupons, and $81.51 at Aldi's). Up until then, we had been eating from the freezer and pantry and I don't think anyone starved!


I'm hoping to stretch this for 3 weeks. Hoping. I will need milk and some produce, I planned the menu to use up stuff like carrots and mushrooms first, then the heartier veggies later on.
Here's my menu for the next 2 weeks. I managed to get the freezer inventoried before grocery shopping, so I know what I have to work with(alot of fish, blech)


I've been experimenting and comparing prices at Aldi's on most things.(it kind of goes along with my goal of making a pricebook). Even a few cents makes a difference!


Another goal of mine this month is to purchase a box of food($41 for the one I want) and a box of veggies($23) from Angel Food Ministries. We've got stuff a time or 2 in the past and honestly, I just keep forgetting to order! That would put a weeks groceries(minus a few things I would have to purchase) for $64.


In doing this, I'm hoping there's enough from the grocery budget to make a trip to Sam's because I'm running out of stuff that I can get cheaper there!

1 comment:

Anna said...

I am totally with you on the hubby-carnivore thing! My hubby lifts weights pretty intensely and he NEEDS lots of food and protein. It sure makes it challenging to keep food costs down!